+254-712351104

Search

Welcome to Tanathi water services Board

National water policy and a National water sector transition plan

The  Cabinet Secretary Ministry of  Water and Irrigation (CS), Eugene  Wamalwa has  tasked the National Water Policy Committee with developing the National water policy and a National water sector transition plan.

The  CS  stated that the two tasks are crucial tools for guiding the implementation of the Water Act  2016 aimed at streamlining water sector in the country.

 

The  tools,  he said would also safeguard the gains achieved through the Water Sector Reforms occasioned by Water  Act  2002 and the National Water Policy of 1999.

He  was  speaking on Thursday during the launch of the National Steering Committee for development of a national water policy for Kenya in Nairobi.

The CS said the process of developing the Policy will be collaborative and participatory.

“The process will involve relevant entities of the National and County Governments, Private sector, civil society and experts,” noted the CS.

He added that it will also involve public consultation and stakeholder validation.

The  CS said there was need for a strong institutional framework and a sound financing mechanism in order to achieve the required target of 80 per cent water coverage by 2020 and attain the remaining 20 per cent by 2030.

The ministry reviewed the Water Act 2002 which has resulted to enactment of the Water  Act 2016 which the President assented to on September 14, 2016.

“I want to assure the country that once the necessary instruments to operationalise the Act are ready, I will gazette the commencement date of the Act,” added the CS.

He noted that the World Bank had supported various programmes of the ministry through the Kenya Water Security and Climate Resilience Programme (KWSCRP).

“World bank has committed to invest over Shs.18.2 billion which will be used to undertake Water Sector Reform activities,” added Wamalwa.

The CS said that the ministry received an allocation of Shs.221 million for the month of November this year which they are using to assist those affected by water scarcity and to mitigate drought.